September 11, 2001
- Palos Heights, IL: A man attacks a Moroccan gas station attendant with the blunt end of a machete. Police take Robert J. Shereikis into custody, charge him with hate crime, aggravated battery and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. Shereikis admits that he believed the victim was Arab and attacked him because he was upset with the attacks in New York City and Washington D.C.
- Manhattan, NY: Amrik Singh Chawla, a South Asian American (Sikh), is chased by a group of four men yelling “terrorist.” They chase him for four blocks. He is unharmed, but deeply shaken by the entire incident.
- Richmond Hills, NY: A gurdwara is fired upon with rubber bullets. An arrest is made when the individual returns the following morning.
- Richmond Hills, NY: Attar Singh Bhatia is severely injured and hospitalized when he is attacked with a baseball bat.
- Richmond Hills, NY: Two Sikh Americans are attacked with a paint ball gun. The police arrest two men.
- Newport Beach, CA: A Newport Beach woman receives harassing and threatening phone calls all morning. “I have an Arabic-sounding last name and I’m in the phone book, that’s the only explanation I can think of,” she states.
- San Jose, CA: Maha El Genaidi, executive director of the Islamic Network Group in San Jose, receives two threats to her organization and personally fields more than seven threatening calls and e-mails. “One of them threatened my life and the lives of all Muslims.” And others were saying, “Get the hell out of the country. You ruined the country, and you will all die,” El Genaidi says.
- Stockton, CA: Amarjit Singh Dadwal, a Sikh, is shouted at and called an “Iraqi” by four or five white teens and adults in a van.
- Tulsa, OK: According to local police, a Pakistani native is beaten by three men in a hate crime. By Thursday, the victim is in a fair condition at a hospital.
- Washington, D.C.: As a South Asian American (Sikh) exits work, he is accosted by pedestrians on the street who begin to yell verbal expletives at him, and threaten to “get” him and bomb him in retaliation for the terrorist acts earlier in the day. Although he was able to escape the crowd, he was deeply upset by the incident.
September 12, 2001
- Providence, RI: Sher J.B. Singh is pulled from an Amtrak train and arrested for possession of a concealed weapon. Mr. Singh was carrying a three-inch kirpan. National press wrongly claims that Mr. Singh is one of the terrorists being sought by the FBI.
- Cleveland, OH: Guru Gobind Singh Sikh Temple is attacked with lit bottles of gasoline.
- Bridgeview, IL: Police turn back 300 marchers — some waving American flags and shouting “USA! USA!” as they try to march on a mosque in the Chicago suburb. Three demonstrators are arrested. There are no injuries and demonstrators are kept blocks from the closed Muslim house of worship.
- “I’m proud to be American and I hate Arabs and I always have,” said 19-year-old Colin Zaremba who marched with the group from Oak Lawn.
- Chicago, IL: A firebomb is tossed at an Arab American community center.
- Gary, IN: A man in a ski mask fires an assault rifle at a gas station where a Yemen-born U.S. citizen is working.
- Washington D.C.: Tamara Alfson, an American working at the Kuwait Embassy, counsels frightened Kuwaiti students attending schools across the United States. Some of them have already been harassed. “People have been quite awful to them,” said Alfson, an academic adviser to about 150 students.
- Boston, MA: Meera Kumar is racially profiled and harassed by police on a Boston-NY train, along with other South Asians and Arabs.
- Collingswood, NJ: Vandals attack two Indian-owned businesses, spray-painting, “leave town.”
- Brooklyn Heights, NY: A man drives past a small group of men and boys gathered at a Mosque for afternoon prayers and yells, “Murderers!”
- Huntington, NY: A 75-year-old man who is drunk tries to run over a Pakistani woman in the parking lot of a shopping mall. The man then follows the woman into a store and threatens to kill her for “destroying my country,” the police report.
- Long Island, NY: A man is arrested on suspicion of waving a pellet gun and shouting obscenities at a South Asian gas station worker in Ronkonkoma.
- Carrollton, Denton, and Irving, TX: Mosques in all three cities are attacked in what authorities believe could be reaction to the terrorist attacks. Shots are fired into the Carrollton and Irving mosques, and a firebomb is thrown into the mosque in Denton.
- Napa, CA: Dale Singh, manager of a fast-food restaurant finds his car’s finish and windows scratched and scraped.
September 13, 2001
- Colorado Springs, CO: Buggie and Pinky Bajwa, Sikh Americans, awake Thursday morning, to find the word “Terrorists” sprayed in red paint across their family’s driveway and “Terrorist on board” written on their white car.
- Los Angeles, CA: Sign in the elevator at the Hall of Records says, “Kill all towel heads.”
- Brooklyn, NY: An Arab grocery storeowner is threatened with violence by his supplier.
- Denton, TX: Early Thursday, a Molotov cocktail is thrown against the side of the Islamic Society, causing an estimated $2,500 in damage, says Kiersten Dieterle, a spokeswoman for the Dallas suburb. The building was empty, and there are no injuries.
- Salt Lake City, UT: James Herrick, 32, tries to set fire to a Pakistani American family’s business.
- Seattle, WA: Shots are fired at worshippers at a mosque and attempts were made to set the building on fire. Police have charged Patrick Cunningham, 53.
September 14, 2001
- Los Angeles, CA: A young Persian woman is eating lunch with a friend who jokingly calls her an Arab. A young woman sitting next to them follows them out of the restaurant, asks the woman if she is Arab, and punches her in the eye.
- Long Beach, CA: Anti-Israeli graffiti is found on a home at Woodruff Avenue & Conant Street. Local newspaper accounts that day indicate there have been 12 incidents in Long Beach since September 11th, the same amount reported in all of last year.
- Tempe, AZ: A 19-year-old Muslim Arizona State University student is pushed to the ground in a parking lot and hit with eggs by two men while they shout, “Die, Muslim, die!” That same night, a 31-year-old student of Pakistani descent is also attacked.
September 15, 2001
- Ceres, CA: Surjit Singh Samra, 69, leaves for his daily walk Sunday morning, but never returns to the family’s home in Ceres, which is just outside Modesto, California. His body is found in a canal September 18th. Police are currently investigating to determine whether the man was murdered or died of natural causes.
- San Francisco, CA: Sean Fernandes, a 26-year-old Indian Catholic is attacked while walking with a white Australian friend in the early morning. An unidentified man approaches the pair, calls Fernandes a “dirty Arab,” and punches him and the friend. The attacker also allegedly directs an ethnic slur at Clarke and told him, “Your friend is Arab, and we kill Arabs.” Fernandes’ friend is stabbed in the ensuing brawl and remains hospitalized in critical condition.
- San Gabriel, CA: Adel Karas, a 48-year-old storeowner of Egyptian descent, is gunned down in his import shop.
- Tulsa, OK: Kimberly Lowe, a 21-year-old full-blood Creek Native American, is killed when she and several Native friends are followed and harassed by a vehicle of white males. The males throws items at the car and yells “Go back to your own country!” Lowe, the driver, stops the car and gets out to confront the males, at which point the attackers drive and pin her against another vehicle, then back up and run over her again.
- Mesa, AZ: First-degree murder charge is filed in shooting of Mesa Sikh, Balbir Singh Sodhi, 49. Forty-two-year-old Frank Roque is charged with first degree murder and is also charged with attempted murder in the two other attacks and three counts of drive-by shooting. Saad Saad, a 35-year-old male of Lebanese descent, is the owner of the Mobil station in Scottsdale where the second shooting occurred. It is reported that Roque shouted, “I stand for America all the way,” as he was handcuffed Saturday night.
- Dallas, TX: A Pakistani grocer, Waqar Hasan, is found shot to death in his grocery store.
September 16, 2001
- Eugene, OR: A 54-year-old California woman is arrested for trying to pull the turban off the head of a Sikh man at a highway rest stop.
- San Diego, CA: On Sunday evening, an explosion from what was apparently a cherry bomb on the sidewalk outside the Islamic Center of San Diego forces worshippers to evacuate the building during a prayer service.
- Stony Brook, NY: Shots are fired at the home of an Indo-American, a graduate of Stanford University. No injuries are reported.
September 17, 2001
- Beverly Hills, CA: A women at a bagel shop wearing a Koranic charm on her neck sits down with a friend and is openly disparaged by another woman. The perpetrator accusingly yells, “Look what you people have done to my people” and lunges at the victim, but held back by one of the men with her. The victim calls police, and the woman continues to make derogatory comments. No one comes to her aid, and when it is all over, the owner goes over to the perpetrators and offers to pack their lunch and apologizes for any inconvenience.
- Encino, CA: An Afghan Restaurant is set on fire at about 1:40 A.M., causing $30,000 in damages. It is unclear as of yet whether the case of arson can be categorized as a hate crime.
- Fremont, CA: An Afghan restaurant is attacked with bottles and rocks.
- Los Angeles, CA: A sign on the freeway reads “Kill all Arabs.”
- Oxnard, CA: A Sikh employee at an Oxnard convenience store is thrown to the ground and beaten by four men during a robbery. The case is being investigated as a possible hate crime.
- Palmdale, CA: Reports of shots fired into a convenience store.
- Quartz Hill, CA: Murhaf Maida’s store on Avenue L is hit by four shots. This is the second attack on his store in three days.
- Sacramento, CA: A Sikh temple in West Sacramento is vandalized.
- San Gabriel, CA: A woman wearing Muslim clothing is shopping at the Albertson’s on Garey and Foothill when a Caucasian woman begins attacking her and yells, “America is only for white people.” The victim is taken to emergency.
- San Antonio, TX: Ashraf Khan, 32, is asked to leave his first-class seat on a Delta Airlines flight set for Dallas. According to Khan, the pilot said, “I’m not going to take you. Myself and my crew are not safe flying with you. They don’t feel safe.”
- Parma, OH: A man rams his car into the Islamic Center of Cleveland in the early hours of morning. No one is injured.
September 18, 2001
- Berkeley, CA: More than 100 protestors clog the lobby of UC Berkeley’s student publication, The Daily California, demanding an apology for an editorial cartoon that one student claims as “a vile form of ethnic characterization.”
- Palmdale, CA: A note is posted at a public high school saying that the World Trade Center attacks would be avenged with a school massacre. The anonymous note lists the names of several Muslim students.
September 19, 2001
- Washington D.C.: Satpreet Singh, a 21-year-old Web designer, is shot at by a man in a blue pickup truck on U.S. Interstate 15.
September 20, 2001
- Rio Arriba, NM: A Sikh community in the northern New Mexico county, Rio Arriba, reports numerous cases of harassment.
- Wiggins, MS: Hasnain Javed, a student of Pakistani descent, is detained by authorities for immigration violations. Placed in a large jail dormitory, he is beaten by inmates throughout the night as they yell derogatory remarks. He is eventually transferred and released.
- Tacoma, WA: An arson attempt is made on the city’s only synagogue. Sunday’s attempt is the third apparent hate crime since the September 11 attacks. A week earlier, the message “Zionism plus U.S. equals 5,000 dead,” was found spray-painted on the synagogue’s parking lot.
September 24, 2001
- Huntington Beach, CA: An elderly Iranian receives a verbal assault while out for a walk on Monday morning. In the assault, a white male drove past the couple, made an abrupt U-turn, parked the car in a side street and approached the couple on foot while threatening them and demanding to know where they were from. Steven James McManus, 43, is indicted as a suspect.
September 25, 2001
- Tempe, AZ: A 19-year-old student of Indian descent at Arizona State University is pushed to the ground, punched and kicked in a parking lot near University Drive and McAllister Avenue at around 1 A.M. During the assault, the attackers make anti-Muslim remarks.
- Also in Arizona, 42-year-old, Frank Silva Roque, the man suspected of killing Balbir Singh Sodhi, is indicted on nine charges, including first-degree murder, drive-by shooting, and endangerment.
September 28, 2001
- Lancaster, CA: Two men in a white truck follow a Latino man — apparently mistaken as of Middle Eastern descent — to his home and beat him in his house. Mark Martin, 20, and Timothy Martin, 35, have been indicted on suspicion of assault and burglary against Gerald Pimental, 47.
- San Francisco, CA: The Iranian American-owned City Blend Cafe has its windows smashed in. The owner is an outspoken critic of hate crimes and was the focus of a San Francisco Chronicle profile a week earlier.
September 29, 2001
- Reedley, CA: A Yemeni grocer Abdo Ali Ahmed, 51, is killed at his convenience store after having received a death threat and a series of racial slurs.
September 30, 2001
- San Diego, CA: Swaran Kaur Bhullar, a Sikh woman, was stopped at red light in her car on Miramar Road when two men on a motorcycle pulled up and attacked her. She is subsequently yanked from her car and stabbed twice in the head. She is rushed to the emergency room and released later in the day.
October 1, 2001
- Ontario, CA: An unidentified man throws a Molotov cocktail at a hotel window. The room was occupied by a man of Middle Eastern descent.
October 5, 2001
- Greensboro, NC: Yasir Hassan, a Pakistani student on a student visa at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, is attacked along with his friend in the front yard of his house by two truck and two carloads of men. He is punched and hit by a beer bottle in the head.
October 21, 2001
- Anaheim, CA: A Diamond Bar man of South Asian descent is attacked outside of a bar by a group of Asian men. The victim, a physical therapist at USC University hospital, suffers a shattered jaw and is released from the hospital Monday.
November 18, 2001
- San Diego, CA: Horatio Plascencia, 30, attacks a Middle Eastern service clerk with a screwdriver.
- Palermo, NY: The Sikh Temple, Gobind Sadan USA, is severely damaged by an arson fire.
December 25, 2001
- Washington D.C.: An Arab American Secret Service Agent en route to Texas to protect President Bush is asked to de-board an American Airlines flight.
December 29, 2001
- Columbus, OH: The Islamic Center of Columbus suffers over $100,000 in damage after vandals drilled holes in the floor, desecrated copies of the Koran, and pulled water pipes from the walls flooding and saturating the mosque.
January 8, 2002
Related InformationExternal Links
- San Diego, CA: Horatio Plascencia, 40, pleaded guilty to battery during a hate crime in his November 18 attack on a Middle Eastern service station clerk. He is sentenced to six years in prison.
- Salt Lake City, UT: James Herrick, 32, who attempted to set fire to a Pakistani American family’s business, is sentenced to more than four years of prison.
Share this page on Social Networks