- O my mind, chant the Name of the Lord, and study His Excellence. Without the Lord's Name, nothing is steady or stable. All the rest of the show is useless. What is there to accept, and what is there to reject, O madman? Whatever is seen shall turn to dust. What you believe to be your own, is poison - you must abandon it and leave it behind. What a load you have to carry on your head! Moment by moment, instant by instant, your life is running out. The fools don't understand. One does things which will not go along with him in the end. This is the lifestyle of the faithless cynic. So join together with the humble Saints, O madman, and you shall find the gate of Salvation. No one finds peace without the true congregation. Go and ask the scholars of the Vedas. All the kings and queens shall depart; they must leave this false expanse. O Nanak, the Saints are eternally steady and stable; they take the support of the Name of the Lord (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1200).
- O mortal, why are you so proud of small things? With a few pounds of grain and a few coins in your pocket, you are totally puffed up with pride. Even if you control a hundred villages with great pomp and ceremony. Even if you have an income of hundreds of thousands of dollars. The power you exert will last for only a few days, just like the green leaves of the forest. No one has brought this wealth with them, and no one will take it with him when he dies. Emperors, even greater than Raawan, passed away in an instant. The Lord's devotees are steady and stable forever;
they worship Him, adore Him, and chant the Lord's Name. Those who are mercifully blessed by God are given the chance to join the company of holy. Mother, father, spouse, children and wealth will not go along with you in the end. Kabeer says, meditate on God. Your life is uselessly wasting away (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1251).
- The self-willed manmukhs wander lost in reincarnation, confused and deluded by doubt. The Messenger of Death constantly beats them and disgraces them. Serving the true Guru, mortal's subservience to death is ended. He meets God and enters the Mansion of His Presence. O mortal, as a Gurmukh, meditate on Naam, the Name of God. In duality, you are ruining and wasting this priceless human life.
You are trading it away in exchange for a penny. By God's grace, Gurmukh falls in love with Him. Enshrine loving devotion towards God deep within your heart. Shabad carries one across this terrifying world. Then one appears true in the True Court of God. One cannot find the true Guru by performing numerous rituals. Many wander lost and confused in Maya without the Guru. Egotism, possessiveness and attachment rises up and increases in the ones who love duality. The self-willed manmukhs suffer in pain. The Creator Himself is Inaccessible and Infinite. Chant the Word of Guru's Shabad and earn the true profit. The Lord is Independent, Ever-present, here and now. O Nanak, the Gurmukh merges in the Naam (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1261).
- O mortal, what will your condition be? In this world, you have not listened to the Name of God. You are totally engrossed in corruption and sin; you have not turned your mind away from it at all. You obtained this human life,
but you did not remembered the Lord, even for an second. For the sake of pleasure, you have become subservient to your woman, and now your feet are bound. Servant Nanak proclaims that the vast expanse of this world is just a dream. Why not meditate on the Lord? Even maya is His slave (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1352).
- Meditating on whom salvation is attained; meditate on Him, O my friend. Nanak says, listen mind: your life is decreasing constantly (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1427).
- Holy devotees, sing the Glorious Praises of God. You have obtained the priceless human life; why are you uselessly wasting it? (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 218).
- O mind, why have you gone insane? Your life is made worthless with greed. The body, which you believe to be your own, and your beautiful home and spouse, none of these is yours to keep. Realize this and understand it. You have wasted the precious jewel of this human life; you do not know the Way to meet God. You have not loved God, even for a second. Your life has passed away in vain. Says Nanak, one is happy who sings the glorious praises of God. The rest of the world is enticed by maya; they fail to achieve the fearless state (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 220).
- Do not think that you can meet God by mere words. You are wasting this life in the arrogance of wealth and glory of beauty (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 24).
- God cannot be realized without the Shabad and life wastes away in vain (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 31).
- Why are you sleeping and forgetting Naam, O careless and foolish mortal? So many have been carried across by this river of life. O mortal, get aboard on the boat of God's Feet and cross over. Sing the glorious praises of God in the company of the holy twenty-four hours a day. You may enjoy various pleasures, but they are useless without Naam. Without devotion to the Lord, you shall die in sorrow, again and again. You may dress up, eat luxury food, and apply scented oils to your body, but without meditating on God, your body shall surely turn to dust and you shall have to depart. How treacherous is this world; very few realize it! Salvation rests in the Lord's Sanctuary;
O Nanak, this is your pre-ordained destiny (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 398).
- In this world, the true Guru is the ocean of peace; there is no other place to rest and have peace. The world is afflicted with the painful disease of egotism; dying, it cries out in pain, only to be reborn. O mind, serve the true Guru and obtain peace. If you serve the true Guru, you shall find peace. Otherwise, you shall depart after wasting away your life in vain (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 603).
- You will have to abandon the materialistic things you have collected. These entanglements will be of no use to you. You are in love with the things that will not go along with you. You think these things are your friends
but in fact these are your enemies. In such confusion, the world has gone astray. The foolish mortal wastes this precious human life. He does not like to see Truth and righteousness. He is attached to falsehood and deception; they seem sweet to him. He loves gifts, but he forgets the Giver. The wretched creature does not even think of death. He cries to possess other people?s things. He forfeits all the merits of his good deeds and religion. He does not understand the Lord's Command and continues going through birth and death. He sins and then regrets afterwards (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 676).
- O mortal, focus your thoughts on God. Moment by moment, your life is running out; night and day, your body is aging away in vain. You have wasted your youth in corrupt pleasures, and your childhood in ignorance. You have grown old and even now, you do not understand
the evil-mindedness in which you are entangled. Why have you forgotten your Lord, who blessed you with this human life? One attains salvation by remembering Him in meditation.
And yet, you do not sing His Praises even for an instant. Why are you intoxicated with Maya? It will not go along with you. Says Nanak, think of Him, remember Him in your mind. He is the Fulfiller of desires, who will be your help and support in the end (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 902).
Share this page on Social Networks